Sunday, January 27, 2008

Fireworks and Country Hooligans

We have been initiated.

Last night I woke up around 4:30am. I don't know what woke me up. I tossed and turned trying to fall back asleep. A few minutes later a burst of little explosions jerked me wide awake. Matt and I sat up wondering what on earth was going on. He said it sounded like firecrackers. That tractor that we rented on Thursday and Friday is still here. The company hasn't picked it up yet. I don't know why it's still in the yard. We called for a pick-up Friday morning. The point is that we are responsible for it as long as it is here and these things have a tendency to get stolen. Crazy. With each noise I would look out the window to make sure it hadn't been carted away. 45 minutes later we were still trying to get back to sleep when Matt heard another noise. He got up and turned on our motion lights and they immediately triggered on. He looked outside with a flashlight but didn't see anything. He wondered aloud if our mailbox was still there. We got dressed and headed out into the dark and fog with our flashlight. Everything looked OK on the way down the drive. About halfway down we could see the reflective letters of the box in the beam of light so we knew it was still there. When we got to the box the front had been blown open by all the firecrackers that had been set off inside it.

Again, this happened at 4:30am. Who is out at that time of day trying to blow up mailboxes? I'd like to think it's a bunch of wayward kids who will get smarter and grow out if it, but I am more inclined to think we are dealing with some drunk, dumbass grownups. Such is the neighborhood.

No comments: