Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hey bidder, bidder

Don't have any pictures for this because I forgot my camera. I could kick myself. Last Sunday we went to an estate auction. It was held in "downtown" Winlock and the auctioneer had to stop whenever a train went by because it was too loud to call over the whistles. We got there about 15 minutes late and managed to miss some of the tools we wanted to bid on - specifically a belt sander. At the end of the day we walked away with a handmade patchwork quilt (I had to fight for it but I won out with a bid of $32.50), a collection of crescent wrenches and 2 giant stainless steel mixing bowls. It was really fun but we learned a few lessons:
  1. Bring an extra jacket. Even if you think it is going to be warm
  2. Bring a folding chair. Standing for 4 hours is rough.
  3. Eat before going to the auction. Donuts sold at the auction are neither tasty or satisfying.
  4. 10% buyers premium means you pay 10% more than you bid. May be obvious to you but it wasn't to me.
  5. Avoid bidding frenzies on big ticket items at all costs. They tend to go out of bargain range pretty quickly and enter into "huh. why didn't I just buy that new" range.

No comments: