Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Conversation With Quinten

Quinten killed 2 birds today. The first thing I saw when I opened the door this morning was Quinten loping toward me from the Sister House with a Cedar Waxwing in his maw. He skirted around me and went into the bay via the cat door. I wanted so badly to get a picture but he was not down with that. Matt and I took turns kneeling on the ground in front of the cat door, between the living space and the bay, watching Quinten toss and play with his dead toy.


The other night I had a dream. All four cats were outside "playing" with a little white mouse. The mouse came up to me and pleaded with me to get her out of her four cat hell. I declined. I was happy to see my cats playing so nicely together and enjoying the great outdoors. I suck.


I had a little daydream today while I was mowing the lawn. Quinten and I were talking:

Quinten: I think I will start leaving my kills in a pile outside. I have noticed that those big black birds seem to like carrion.
Me: That is very kind of you. I am sure the ravens will appreciate it.
Quinten: Well, really what I want to do is catch me one of those big black birds.
Me: I don't think you can see from your perspective just how big those birds are.
Quinten: I have been practicing. I am sure I could take one down.
Me: You realize that both ends of those birds are business ends, right? Talons on the bottom and beak on top. And also you won't be fighting just one. They stick together. You will probably be bombarded by the whole flock.
Quinten: Sigh
Me: You can still leave your dead out for them. I would like a chance to get to see them semi-up close. I have always liked them.
Quinten: What do I care what you think, human?

No comments: