Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Qwest failed me

Bad News. We spent time with Qwest operators before the purchase of our land and again just prior to moving to confirm that DSL was available at our address. Turns out people will say anything to make a sale. They called us yesterday to confirm our installation time and casually mentioned that they didn't think DSL was available in our area and hoped that it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience! Uh, we both telecommute. It's more than an inconvenience. It hits right at our financial Achilles heel. It looks like we will need to rent office space so we can "work from home".

In other "this day sucks" news, the post office royally screwed up our change of address. Before we left LA I had a confirmed change of address document showing our new address. I went to the post office today to pick up our hold mail because we don't have a box up yet. Thank goodness the Winlock PO is small. Instead of forwarding our mail to XXX South Military Road they are sending it to "N Military Road". That's right, no house number, just the street and although the street name is similar, South Military and North Military are most definitely not the same. It took me over an hour to semi-sort it out. Turns out that our address had been removed from the active address list and placed on the vacant property list 3 days before our forward took effect. So when the computer read our new address it decided our new address didn't exist and defaulted to the nearest location. So after going in a million circles - the local PO told me to fix it online (couldn't do that so I called the 1-800#), the 1-800 people told me that they couldn't help and I needed to deal w/ the local post office (in front of which I was sitting during the call) and back and forth and back and forth until I had a little breakdown in the PO lobby in front of the very kind and concerned clerk. Finally I got a number of someone named Guy who was very helpful and found the problem and told me he could help on his end by changing the staus of our address and that I needed to start the Change of Address over again and cross my fingers. Sigh. Not a banner day in Winlock.

No comments: